Friday, January 28, 2011

How do you work out with a bruised, "angry" elbow?

Very simple - you simply do not do anything that exacerbates the situation. As Mike Sorentino would say, "That's a bad situation right there."

So, after 6 standing incline cable curls (two-handed), I found that my usual technique of turning the curl into a standing preacher curl wouldn't hold up. The motion was fine, but the pressure on that part of my elbow physically was not. So, I disconnected the two-hand bar and attached a D-ring. Single-handed stnading cable curls it was, then. I finished my reps (to failure!) and moved on to triceps. Amazingly, that went off without a hitch.

I feel a little joint soreness this morning, but nothing of the type of pain I was feeling with direct pressure on the elbow (i.e. resting on it). Also, that type of pain is diminishing, so it seems to be healng fairly well.

Last night was also another small milestone - 410lbs x 12 reps for hack squats. Time to move the weight up again! Also, increments are coming for tricep extensions, shoulder (trap) shrugs and calf raises.

The whole thing revolves around being adaptable (so long as you're physically able to do the work invovled). Change up an exercise if a certain one just can't be performed optimally.

" If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend." - Bruce Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment